If you are a sports fan, chances are we can satisfy pretty much any sports craving you have. From professional sports, to college teams and recreational leagues, we have it here in Maryland. Let me break it down for you:
- Baltimore Ravens- if you are a football fan, head on over to the M&T Bank Stadium and watch our Baltimore Ravens take on other teams in the NFL. Our guys in the purple and yellow are some of the toughest around. Pre season games begin in August and the regular season runs through January. Our Ravens won two Superbowls in 2000 and 2012! Purple Pride is alive and well in Baltimore. For more information, visit the Ravens website.
- Baltimore Orioles- calling all baseball fans!Come and experience a special evening watching our orange and black compete against the best teams in baseball. Camden Yards mixes the old style heritage with new updated state of the art conveniences. Have a hot dog and beer or try one of the barbeque joints. If you have time, visit the Sports Legend Museum featuring some of the most talented players in history, including Babe Ruth. Check the Orioles website for schedule and game times.
Minor League Team Sports
- Baseball-Maryland has its share of minor league baseball teams. As a matter of fact we havesix teams located throughout the state! So, there’s always a venue close by. We have the Aberdeen Ironbirds, Fredrick Keys, Hagerstown Suns,Delmarva Shorebirds and the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs.
- Soccer-catch the action and visit our indoor soccer team, The Baltimore Blast.Check out their website for tickets and game schedules.
- There are a plethora of college teams from football, baseball, Lacrosse and others. For those interested in checking out college basketball, attend a Big 10 game. I recommend the Maryland Terrapins and the Lady Terps. Visit the University of Maryland athletic website for all the schedules.
Other Popular Sporting Events
Preakness–this is the second race in the famous “Triple Crown” trilogy. Enjoy the day at the Pimlico Race Course, each May. Sip mint juleps, wear your best hat and come out and cheer on the jockeys and their gorgeous horses.
Maryland Million Dollar Day–Maryland is home to many Steeplechase races. The one I enjoy the most is this one. Every year, Laurel Park is home to this horse race. Bring the kids and watch as they ride ponies, dance and hang out in a bounce house. This is a day everyone will enjoy.
Charm City Roller Girls–Yes! We have a women’s roller derby team here in Baltimore. Catch the hard-hitting action as these athletic and fearless ladies take to the rink and battle!
Sailing-Maryland is often called “The Sailing Capital of the World. There are numerous sailing schools if you wish to take a few lessons. Or head down to the docks. Sailing excursions are a great way to see the harbor. Sunset cruises are the best! Try one while you are here.
This is just a small list of the most popular sporting events and teams that are my personal favorites. But, believe me, there are thousands of teams I could have listed. If you find yourself nearby a college or one of the military academies, check our their schedules, too. See? There’s so much here in Maryland.